Saturday, July 8, 2017

Impassable Goals... Yay?


This week I changed the way goals work... pretty fundamentally. I'm comfortable doing so because the changes are easy to undo, but as of now you can no longer simply move through goals and linked goal nodes. You can only pass through them by charging.

This finally prevents people from doing the types of shenanigans I mentioned earlier. Is it worth it? Well, that's what I intend to find out. On one hand, it feels more restrictive. On the other hand, it could allow for some cooler puzzles. I'll let it sit a few weeks, at least until the next time I can get playtesters on it, then I'll decide whether to keep it or not.

Side note: never forget the supporting details which make a thing feel substantial. I could have just changed the code to make sure you can only pass through goals while charging, but I also added what I needed to create a little effect when you bump into them, and to have them visually react to you beginning to charge so that you know you can charge through them:



And finally, as always, the charging-up noise is by Javier Zumer. I use and modify it under this license.

No comments:

Post a Comment