Sunday, November 22, 2015

Fiddling with player control refinements, a new final level, and a to-do list

(New build up here!)

The jury is still out on whether I like these timed walls over the walls which appear when you charge... But I'm far more happy with the new level 10 that's in this build. But what I focused on more for this week was player controls.

For the most part, the game functions as I want it to (The actual control scheme will be changed at least one or two more times before I'm happy, but that's another issue) but there are several small issues around charging that ruin the flow of the game. The biggest issue is when the player seems to wrap around at an inconsistent speed when interacting with wrap walls. I didn't succeed in solving that, but I did uncover some hidden issues that could have been contributing to the problem. I also narrowed down that the root cause of this may be. I think it has something to do with the length of the charge.

Some things I want to do in future weeks (in no particular order):

  • Change mouse controls so you can also charge with mouse-click and you will only face the mouse when holding down mouse 0
  • Change gamepad controls so that right trigger is the charge button
  • Add a trail renderer to enemy projectiles
  • Add a color change and particle effect for when goals revert back to zero after you fail to clear them. This would especially make the linked goals easier to understand upon first encountering them, since all linked goals would fail at once.
  • Implement moving walls, enemies, and goals for future levels.

Eventually, this is going to start looking like an actual game. Then I'll have to get a sound guy (or gal) to do some sound! Ditto for art.


Speaking of sound, charging-up noise is courtesy of Javier Zumer under this license.

No comments:

Post a Comment