Sunday, December 10, 2017

More level tweaking

(This week's build can be found here)

I didn't have much time to work on the game this week, but I did change two levels. One level asked the player to go through some bounce/wrap walls to hit four linked nodes, then hit a switch to be able to do the thing all over again. The switch was totally unnecessary, so I removed it. I might also remove that level entirely later, since I don't really ever ask the player to hit linked nodes more than once in a row in later levels of the game.

However, speaking of using linked nodes that require multiple hits per node, the next level does now use them. Here's what it looks like:


Here's what the level used to look like:


The preceding levels use 45 degree diagonal bounce walls. I thought using two at once would feel like a natural progression, but the solution to this level is uninteresting. There's really only one solution and the level itself isn't that fun to move around in. The level I replaced it with is a lot more fun to move about in. There is a "best way" to solve the puzzle of hitting both linked nodes twice, but there are a bunch of other ways to do it too. If you're fast enough, I believe you can clear this level without even needing to use the bounce wall. My one worry is that it doesn't quite explain what the "trick" of the level is, so maybe it'll be frustrating when people try it.

"Charging up" sound effect is by Javier Zumer. I use and modify it under this license.

No comments:

Post a Comment