Sunday, April 5, 2015

Shoot the Moons

(Want to just skip to the game? By my guest!)

This week's game is called Shoot the Moons! Convert the Sun... Shoot the Moon.. maybe next week I'll do another "<Insert Verb> the <Insert Celestial Body>."

But really, this week's game came out very well. I got started early, and I knew that whatever I did I wanted to do most of my movement with rigidbodies and addforce. I usually make movement like this, but I'd been using transform movement almost exclusively so far in my weekly games. I had an idea of a game where you're simply shot forward at an increasing velocity, and you have to dodge larger or smaller asteroids that pass by. If you were moving fast enough, you could smash right through certain-sized obstacles.

Well, instead of that, I made this:


Once I had movement working, I really enjoyed moving all around in every direction. I gave the player a long trail renderer so that you could tell where you were going and where you'd been (and also, because I think I'm addicted to them) and for a while, I amused myself with just flying about:


I had some trouble figuring out how I'd make this into a game though. The most interesting thing about flying around was, of course, nearly crashing into things. I made these triangles and placed them near other obstacles to try to encourage that. Then I went back to my original idea, and realized that I could just make the asteroids all have these triangles attached to them. After that, it was just a matter of framing the conflict around these incoming asteroids.

Last thing to note: I'm really happy with how the look of this game ended up. White, blue, and yellow were a good color scheme, and the triangular tori (just learned that word) really complemented the triangular faces of the hedron-spheres. Here are two more pictues I shot in full-screen:



The game is available right here!

Oh, last LAST thing to note: Two things I may change if I get the chance before Monday are 1) Sometimes you don't boost when you hit space and 2) The line drawn from enemies to the core should really grow redder as they get closer.

And one MORE thing: I'd be completely remiss if I didn't mention that the triangle pickup noise was by NenadSimic, the menu music was by SouljahdeShiva, and the in-game music was by p0ss. They're all being used under this license

No comments:

Post a Comment