Sunday, September 17, 2017

Adjusting for time

There's a new build this week!

Hi there everyone, sorry for not posting more, but the last two weekends have preoccupied me with:

  1. Traveling to a convention and doing a lot of convention things
  2. Attending a wedding and doing a lot of wedding things 
I did a tiny amount of work this week:
  1. I decided that the review at the end of each level should just be time based rather than charge based, and that it should just compare your most recent time with your best time for each level.
  2. I decided to change the color scheme of all the tutorials in the game
I'm afraid that doesn't make for a very snappy screenshot
I initially implemented the review at the end of each level because I wanted to provide people with the feedback of knowing when they had completed a level as well as can be done. I'm changing it because I didn't like the idea of people finishing a level and immediately being told "you can do better!" I knew I didn't like it from the start, but I decided to let it sit for a while. While letting it sit I also came to the conclusion that "number of charges" was not the correct way to measure success in this game. I don't want to encourage not charging, after all. Simply tracking time is probably the better way to go. Be as frantic and charge-spammy as you'd like - as long as it gets the level done.

(I think, on a separate level, I wanted the review being charge-based to disincentivize people from using multiple quick charges to clear goals that you are supposed to use wrap walls for, but that's a problem that needs to be solved in another way)

I changed the color of the tutorials of the game because I ran into someone who told me they hadn't noticed them! So now they're blue, and not grey. In hindsight, it's easy to see why making your tutorial the same color as your background is unwise.

As always, the charge-up noise is by Javier Zumer. I use and modify it under this license.

No comments:

Post a Comment