Sunday, April 2, 2017

Just some minor adjustments for now


Nothing much to report this week. I wish I had done more work on the game, but it didn't shake out that way. I did, however, address the issues I highlighted in red last week. I was very pleased to fix that charging bug, since I was able to fix the issue by editing down my code. And having the player automatically look in the direction they wish to go when they charge is a very small but very satisfying change. It just feels right. Also, it lowers the "gulf of execution" by a bit. A very important bit.

Additionally, I rewrote that tutorial text I mentioned a few weeks ago. Now it says this:


I still hate telling the player to do something when it's the only thing you ever speak to the player about. Maybe I should work on a more robust tutorial system that I can bring up in more levels. That way it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb when I use it here. Again, I'm hoping it's a little charming in the way that it appears word by word as you perform charges.

Finally, I played around in BFXR to see if I could finally replace the sound effect I keep citing at the end of these posts. I was not successful, as evidenced by the below:

Charging-up noise is by Javier Zumer. I use and modify it under this license.

No comments:

Post a Comment