Sunday, November 6, 2016

Four walls and a roof


So I set out to re-redesign that level I talked about in my last post, and the results were really great. I continued to explore what it is that I like about those three diamond-shaped kill walls in the center of the level, and I found that they just break up the level really nicely. They also add an amount of danger to just moving about the level - the player arrow is quite floaty still, so it's not impossible to accidentally run straight into them and die. More than that, I really like what begins to happen when you start putting walls between each of the diamonds:


Earlier in the project, I wanted to be able to add "rooms" to levels. The idea would be that you could add sequentiality to puzzles by forcing people to do one puzzle before another. I actually did this already in the first Warp Wall level:


You have to figure out how to get to the bottom-left chamber before heading out and attacking the enemy. You get to experience the mechanic that the level is about before being quizzed at the end about the correct way to use it. I never figured out until now that, with switches, I can just divide normal-sized levels into digestible chunks. So the image I posted up top can turn into this:


And then this:


Before you know it, you've solved four puzzles in one level without even clearing a goal. So far, this game has had very few secondary goals. Sometimes there was a level with multiple primary goals (clearing linked nodes, killing enemies, etc), but you could complete them all in whatever order you wished. So I'm really happy to have a level that works in a completely different way.

Also, as a side note, the little red arrows that are attached to enemies and shoot projectiles are their own prefab. I've been waiting a while to find a level that they really needed to be used on.

As always, the charge-up noise I use was made by Javier Zumer. I use and modify it under this license.

No comments:

Post a Comment